Eureka City Offices are located at 15 North Church Street in the old county courthouse. Hours are from 8-12 and 1-5, Monday through Friday, closed Holidays. Phone: (435) 433-6915
Eureka, Utah is located in Juab County, 25 miles west of Payson. There are about 800 residents who enjoy the quiet peacefulness of a historic mining town. Eureka is home to the Tintic School District, two convenience stores, a small motel, a bed and breakfast, some home businesses and Mountain High Credit Union. Most residents commute to nearby Utah County or Tooele County. The city has been working with the Environmental Protection Agency for the past six years to clean up lead contamination in the town and is slated to be finished with this huge project in 2010.
Check out the latest "Eureka Review"
Eureka City is accepting sealed bids on the following used surplus equipment:
(1) Champion Grader 710A, Minimum Bid $6,000.
(1) 1969 White Ford Dump Truck, Minimum Bid $500.
(1) 1995 Ford F150 Pickup, Minimum Bid $300.
(2) National Signal tow behind Arrow Boards, Minimum Bid $500 each.
(1) 500 Gallon Fuel Tank, Minimum Bid $50.
(1) Truck Fuel Pad without pump, Minimum Bid $50.
(3) Pallets Miscellaneous Items/Plumbing Supplies, Minimum Bid $25.00 each.
(1) Bundle French Drain Pipe, Minimum Bid $100.
All items, vehicles and/or equipment will be sold “as is”, without warranty. Vehicles and equipment will be sold to the highest qualified bidder. The City has the right to refuse any or all bids received. For further information or to view the items, call Eureka City Office at 435-433-6915 or go to city website at eurekautah.org. Bids will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. October 1, 2013. Bids will be publicly opened and read at the Council Work Meeting that night at 7:00 p.m. The winning bidder will be notified thereafter and will be required to remove item from the City’s property within 3 business days. Bids are to be delivered in a sealed envelope to Eureka City, 15 North Church Street, Eureka, Utah 84628, with “BID FOR SURPLUS PROPERTY” clearly marked on envelope.
History of Eureka
Eureka was originally known as Ruby Hollow before it developed into a bustling mining town. Incorporated as a city in 1892, Eureka became the financial center for the Tintic Mining District, a wealthy gold and silver mining area in Utah and Juab counties. The district was organized in 1869 and by 1899 became one of the top mineral producing areas in Utah. Eureka housed the "Big Four" mines -- Bullion Beck and Champion, Centennial Eureka, Eureka Hill, and Gemini-and later the Chief Consolidated Mining Company. The Chief was developed by the Walter Fitch family, who not only had their own mine in Eureka, but also the company headquarters, family residences, and family cemetery -- a most unique feature in any western mining town.
As with other mining towns, Eureka developed from a camp to a settlement then town. It benefited from competing transportation services of the Union Pacific (1889) and the Denver and Rio Grande Western (1891) railroads. Census statistics indicate the following population figures through 1930, when the impact of the Depression changed its fortunes: 1880 - 122; 1890 - 1,733; 1900 - 3,325; 1910 - 3,829; 1920 - 3,908; 1930 - 3,216.
Eureka's role as the central financial point for the district ensured its survival. It housed business establishments, financial institutions, local and county governmental buildings including Eureka City Hall (1899) and a Juab County Courthouse (1892), various churches, and the meeting places for numerous labor, social, and fraternal organizations. Mining entrepreneurs such as John Q. Packard, John Beck, Jessie Knight, Walter Fitch Sr., and others loomed as important figures in Eureka and Tintic history. In 1979 Eureka was placed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Tintic Mining District Multiple Resource Area, recognizing the importance of remaining buildings and sites.
read more on History of Eureka >
For technical questions and
comments regarding this website,
please contact the Webmaster.